The Monthly Memo Archive
The Monthly Memo
April 1, 2000
Please visit our web page. The site address is: heab.state.wi.us
Points of Interest:
- 2000-01 WHEG and WTG formulas were included in the March Monthly
Memo. The first 2000-01 notification list and associated reports will be mailed April
19th. A packet of information, revised applications, etc. will also accompany the first notification
list. Please begin sending file maintenance (FM) changes or adds after you receive your
school's 1st list and reports. We will continue to send the lists and reports beyond the 19th on an
every other week basis.
- The 2000-01 voucher (V) process will begin August 1, 2000. You may begin
sending in voucher requests the last week in July. Please only voucher funds for students who are
registered for coursework.
- The next Board meeting will be held April 28, 2000. Financial Aid Administrators are
represented on the Board by Mary Jo Green of Mid State Technical College, Sr. Mary Beth Kornely of
Silver Lake College, and Steve Van Ess of UW Madison. Copies of the various February Board Reports
are in the process of being added to HEAB's website.
- Due to demand, an extra HEAB Training Session HAS BEEN ADDED ON APRIL 20, 2000. The
May session is full. The next three training sessions after May are:
July 20, 2000
September 21, 2000
November 16, 2000
The program begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends no later than 3:00 p.m. It is held at the HEAB offices
at 131 W. Wilson St, Suite 902, Madison, WI. We have room for up to 6 people at each session.
If you want to register for a session or need more information, please call Jim Buske at (608)
267-9865 or send email to email@example.com.
- Recently there has been an increase in the number of errors in the processing of
refunds. The errors fall into two categories:
- Schools returning more money for a student than was originally vouchered.
- Schools sending in duplicate refunds.
Please take a moment before sending in refunds to check and make sure that:
- You are returning the proper amount.
- You have identified the proper program.
- That the same refund has not been sent to us previously.
Points Related to Processing:
- 1999-2000 notification lists and other associated reports are scheduled to print 4/11/00 and 4/25/00.
Here are a few tips for bringing in your electronic Notification Files:
- set all margins to 0.25"
- set paper orientation to landscape
- set font to Courier (or Lucida Console if you have it)
- set point size to 9
Also, if you encounter problems opening the file directly from email, try saving it to your
server or hard drive using either Notepad or WordPad to open it. If this doesn't work, please give
Barb Moermond a call at (608) 266-3091 and she will work with you to try to find a solution.
- We continue to run the 1999-2000 vouchering process on Tuesday and Friday
nights of each week. Just a reminder that we cannot guarantee that your request can be loaded on
the same day it has been received if the information arrives after 12NOON. Please keep in
mind that it takes two to three business days after the vouchering process runs before checks are
physically printed. So please plan accordingly. Please only voucher funds for students who are
registered for coursework. Contact me if you have any questions.
- Please be aware that at the end of 1999-00 there will be a June 15, 2000 deadline for
submitting all adds, changes, vouchers, and refunds.
- If your school transfers data to HEAB via an FTP site, please notify Barb Moermond at
firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as
possible whenever any changes in your FTP set-up, software, IP, etc. occur. Once notified, Barb will
make all the necessary changes that need to be made at our end in order for HEAB to continue to be
able to transfer data to and from your school.
- To all schools using the HEAB templates for file maintenance and voucher requests: Please
refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section on the HEAB web page
(http://HEAB.state.wi.us) where you will find the formatting guides for both templates. Please use
the guides and verify that both templates are formatted exactly the way the guides indicate. There
have been an increasing number of problems with files not being formatted properly when they had
been fine previously and this means that the file maintenance changes and/or voucher requests that
have been submitted aren't going through. Please contact Barb Moermond
you have any questions.
- There have been a number of schools who have been sending file maintenance for students
who are not enrolled at their school. Therefore, new awards keep recalculating based on file
maintenance sent in by the school where the student is not attending. The school where the
student is attending has to keep sending file maintenance to correct what the other school
has sent. To eliminate this problem, please only send file maintenance for students who you know are
attending or plan to attend your school.
- Please be aware that if you request a disbursement of less than $250 for a term or a
semester or if the student has used nine semesters of eligibility, the voucher request is manually
handled through a "special voucher" which is run on Wednesday nights.
- Also be aware that you cannot voucher funds for a student you just sent FAFSA changes
for to the federal processor. Please voucher funds for students after they are reflected on the
notification list. Our agency will calculate an award the Tuesday or Friday night after file
maintenance is received or after the student is loaded from the federal record (which we draw down
daily). However, the notification list which communicates the student award to you is run every
other Tuesday. Please keep all of this in mind when you are making student record changes or
vouchering funds. Please also keep in mind that we calculate awards on the most recent information
that is received either through file maintenance or from the federal processor.
- Just another reminder that students can receive up to ten semesters of a combination of
WHEG/WTG rather than ten semesters of each.
- 1999-2000 award commit for WHEG and WTG is as follows:
|UW WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 131.57%)
|UW WHEG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 92.94%)
|WTC WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 167.38%)
|WTC WHEG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 97.57%)
|WTG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 113.57%)
|WTG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 95.54%)
I appreciate your feedback and thoughts! My phone number is 608.264.6181, FAX:
email@example.com and SNAILMAIL: HEAB, P.O. Box 7885, Madison, WI
Jane Hojan-Clark, Executive Secretary
Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
The Monthly Memo Archive
HEAB Main Page
Financial Aid Programs
Financial Aid Application Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Information for Financial Aid Administrators