Hearing/Visually Impaired Student Grant FAQ

Who is eligible for a grant under the Wisconsin Hearing & Visually Handicapped Student Grant program?

A student must have a severe to profound hearing or visual loss and demonstrate financial need to qualify for this grant. If the student has another disability, he/she should contact their local Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Is medical certification required every year when a student applies for this grant?

While an annual application is required for this grant, only the initial application requires medical certification to determine the degree of a hearing or visual impairment.

Is the Hearing and Visually Handicapped Student Grant restricted to Wisconsin schools only?

Under certain circumstances, a student can attend an out-of-state school and still be eligible for this grant.