General FAQ

General Questions

How can a student apply for Wisconsin state financial aid from HEAB?

Students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for State of Wisconsin need-based assistance.

Why must a student file the FAFSA, a federal form, in order to be eligible for state grants?

The federal Department of Education passes applicable student information for Wisconsin residents to HEAB. Student and parental financial information provided on the FAFSA determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is included in the formulas developed by HEAB each year to calculate Wisconsin Grant (WG) and Talent Incentive Program (TIP) awards.

Is registration with Selective Service required?

Male students seeking financial aid from the State of Wisconsin are required to register with the United States Selective Service System (SSS).

Which state grants serve the largest number of students?

The Wisconsin Grant is the primary financial aid programs administered by HEAB. The WG population includes students attending two and four year UW campuses, Wisconsin Technical Colleges, non-profit independent colleges and universities based in Wisconsin and Tribal Colleges.

Where can a student get applications for the Wisconsin Grant?

The FAFSA is the only application students need to complete to be considered for Wisconsin Grant.

Additional Information